Sunday, March 26, 2023

NASSR Conference This Week!

This week, the North American Society for the Study of Romanticism is holding its annual conference in Huntsville, Texas. I'll be attending, but online rather than in person.

Last year, NASSR held a joint conference with the British Association for Romantic Studies, which was also held in a hybrid format. I presented a paper virtually on George Gordon Byron's play Marino Faliero, and even chaired a panel on Byron.

This year, the theme of the NASSR conference is Romanticism and Justice. The conference opens on Thursday, and though I'll have to teach during the morning sessions, I plan on attending a virtual coffee hour with Julia Wright from Dalhousie University. Then, the Keats-Shelley Association of America is sponsoring a virtual seminar called Percy Shelley for Our Times.

My panel will be on Friday morning. I'll be discussing imprisonment in the plays The Convent by Olympe de Gouges and The Black Doctor Ira Aldridge. I'll be joined by Marjean D. Purinton discussing dramas that put justice on trial, Shavera Seneviratne discussing T.W. Moncrieff's The Cataract of the Ganges, and Young-ok An discussing women on trial in the work of Percy and Mary Shelley.

Sophie Thomas of Toronto Metropolitan University is currently scheduled to be chairing my panel. I'm looking forward to it!