Monday, November 27, 2017

Back From London

Last night, I got back from London. As I previously wrote, I was doing research on toy theatres at the British Museum. I also got to see Oscar Wilde's A Woman of No Importance and Anders Lustgarten's The Secret Theatre.

On Friday, having completed my research at the museum, I went to the National Gallery and then took a tour of Highgate Cemetery. I saw the grave of Karl Marx, the chief figure in my play Capital. Unfortunately, I did not get to see the grave of Lizzie Siddal, the subject of my play Ophelia's Grave, but the National Gallery did have one of her sketches.

That night, I headed down to Seven Dials, which was once London's most infamous slum. (The equivalent in New York was Five Points.) It's not a slum at all anymore, and actually has quite a few high-end retailers. I was there, however, to see the Donmar Warehouse production of The Lady From the Sea.

I have quite a few thoughts on the production, but they'll have to wait, as it's almost midnight and I'm ready for bed. I had a great time, but it's good to be home.