Friday, March 28, 2014

CDC Preview

I'm very excited about going to Stevenson University's Comparative Drama Conference next month in Baltimore. Unfortunately, I will be missing much of the conference (including keynote speaker David Henry Hwang) as I will have to come back to New York for a rehearsal of Moby-Dick, which is having a staged reading by IATI Theater.

Still, I should be able to catch some great speakers. Beck Holden is giving a talk on Charles Kean's production of The Merchant of Venice. Shehzad Ghias will be speaking about the portrayal of women in Pakistani Theatre. Later that afternoon, Rick DesRochers will be presenting on the Marx Brothers.

Of course I'll have to also attend the session on "Goethe's Faust and his Descendants." Jan Hagens, Charles Gershman, and Birte Giesler will all be presenting.

I'll be presenting my own paper on Back to Methuselah as part of a Shaw panel. Jesse Hellman will also be there, speaking about connections between the infamous Lady Hamilton and Eliza Doolittle in Pygmalion. That will be at 4:00 on Thursday, April 3rd. If you're coming to the conference, perhaps I'll see you there!