Sunday, January 6, 2013

GREAT EXPECTATIONS for the toy theatre

GREAT EXPECTATIONS by Charles Dickens adapted for the toy theatre by James Armstrong

MAGWITCH: You get me a file, and you get me wittles. You bring 'em both to me, or I'll have your heart and liver out!

MRS. JO: Where have you been, you young monkey?

MAGWITCH: Thankee, my boy.

POLICEMAN: I am on a chase in the name of the king, and I want a blacksmith.

MAGWITCH: Lookee here! Single-handed I got clear of the prison-ship.

MRS. JO: Miss Havisham wants this boy to go and play. And of course he's going. And he had better play there.

PIP: After you, miss.
ESTELLA: Don't be ridiculous, boy; I am not going in.

MISS HAVISHAM: Who is it?
PIP: Pip, ma'am. Come--to play.

MISS HAVISHAM: Let me see you play cards with this boy.
ESTELLA: Why, he is a common laboring-boy!
MISS HAVISHAM: Well? You can break his heart.

JAGGERS: Pip will come into a handsome property. It is my client's desire that he be brought up as a gentleman.

JAGGERS: Wemmick shall walk round with you.
WEMMICK: So you were never in London before?

MAGWITCH: You acted nobly, my boy.
PIP: The convict!
MAGWITCH: I've made a gentleman on you! It's me wot has done it!

PIP: I have found out who my patron is. You led me on.
MISS HAVISHAM: Who am I that I should be kind?

MISS HAVISHAM: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

PIP: I forgive her.

PIP: If all goes well, you will be perfectly free and safe again, within a few hours.

 MAGWITCH: Lookee here, dear boy. It's best as a gentleman should not be knowed to belong to me now.

PIP: I will be as true to you as you have been to me!

PIP: To look at old objects and to think of old times, I return to the place.

PIP: Estella! After so many years, it is strange that we should thus meet again.


 ESTELLA: I have been bent and broken, but--I hope into a better shape. Tell me we are friends.

THE END. This has been a Beckman Unicorn's Victorian Toy Theatre Presentation.