I've been working together with the playwright Mark Levine to develop his new play Evicting the Rabbit Goddess, which is a great deal of fun.
So far, we've had a couple of readings of scenes from the play at the weekly workshop of the American Renaissance Theater Company. Later this month, I will be directing a reading of the play in its entirely.
The piece stars Pëtra Denison as an Irish-Puerto-Rican single mom who is about to be evicted from her apartment by her landlady's son, played by Nick Walther. It takes place in Washington Heights in the 1990s, just as gentrification is starting to uproot many long-term residents of the area.
If you saw the festival in January that included a one-act play I directed, you might have seen Mark's short play Mutual Bond. This full-length work is much more ambitious, though, taking place in multiple realities as we see the fantasies and nightmares of both characters come to life on the stage.
The reading will be held on Tuesday, October 27th at 6:30pm at A.R.T./NY, 520 Eighth Avenue, 3rd Floor, in Studio B. An ID is required to enter the building.
Should you be interested in attending, contact me, and I'll put you on the list.
