Saturday, September 28, 2024

American Renaissance

I recently became a member of American Renaissance Theater Company. Last week, they did a reading of the beginning of my new play After an Earlier Incident, and now I'll be directing for them a short play by Bara Swain that will be performed in November.

The Tank will be hosting us as ARTC presents The Boob Tube Plays, five short pieces by Swain all related to television. The evening will begin with I Love Lucy, about two women who meet in the lobby of an OBGYN's office. It will be followed by Folded about a young man's search to know his father, Wasted about a family torn apart by Covid, and If You See a Hyena, a spoof on reality television. I'll be directing the last show of the evening, Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.

We have a great cast, company members Megan Greener and Nick Walther as a soon-to-be married couple on the eve of their wedding night. Nick read the part of Elliot for me in After an Earlier Incident, so I know he's delightful, and I'm equally excited to be working with Megan. Both have wonderful comic sensibilities that are perfect for the play.

We open on November 2nd, and have two more performances on November 7th and 8th. I hope you can come out to see it!