Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Staging Mrs. Jones

When I was in high school, I decided to make myself a playwright. The only way to do that was to sit down and write a play--not a skit to be acted out by puppets in my bedroom, but a real play, a play that could actually be produced one day. So I wrote The New Mrs. Jones.

Incredibly enough, the play was actually produced. The production didn't come right away, but eventually the Theatre-Studio Inc. put it on in New York City. I was living in Pittsburgh at the time, and it was my NYC premiere. Later, Brooklyn Publishers picked up the piece, and they currently market it nationwide and around the world.

Yesterday, I got my royalty report from Brooklyn Publishers, showing three recent productions. I'm not sure where those stagings occurred, but I know that Loyola University New Orleans produced the play in 2013, Youngstown State University did the show in 2014, and Jefferson High School put it on in 2015. In August, The Empty Space in Bakersfield, California did The New Mrs. Jones, but that was recent enough it might not have shown up in the royalty report.

It's great to hear about my work being done, but I rarely find out about productions until after the fact. If you are doing The New Mrs. Jones or any other of my plays, please let me know. I'd love to publicize the show on this blog!