Saturday, July 20, 2013

Pope Unlock'd

Last night, I saw Prospect Theater Company's production of Unlock'd, a new musical with book and lyrics by Sam Carner and music by Derek Gregor. The play is loosely inspired by Alexander's Pope's mock epic The Rape of the Lock.

This is one of the more delightful new musicals I've seen in a long time. The play surprised me twice, first when the lovers paired up in a different way than I was expecting, and then again when the lovers' quarrels took a back seat to grudges involving the two sisters. This is a play that deserves to go further.

Next up for Prospect is a musical that promises to be even more ambitious. In September, the company will be opening Tamar and the River, a piece by Marisa Michelson and Joshua H. Cohen inspired by an incident in Genesis. I'm very much looking forward to it!