Sunday, April 14, 2013

Recklinghausen, here I come!

Recently, I received a Cohn-Lortel travel grant through the City University of New York to visit the Ruhr Valley Theatre Festival (Ruhrfestspiele) in Recklinghausen, Germany. I'll leave at the end of May and be at the festival for the the first week of June. It's very exciting!

As part of the travel grant, I'll be writing a review of the festival for Western European Stages, a journal that is published out of CUNY. Productions come to the festival from all over the world. I've mapped out at least 10 productions I really want to see, including a ballet from Russia, a Kleist adaptation for children from a Belgian company, a German piece inspired by Alice in Wonderland, a Brecht play done by a company from Luxembourg, and a new adaptation of Kafka's Metamorphosis.

The plane and hotels are now booked. Hopefully, I'll be able to blog live from the festival!